Saturday, January 3, 2009

A blur...

It is very true that the older you get the more quickly time passes. 2008 is really kind of a blur for me. I've read friends' blogs where each recapped the highlights or significant events of the last year, and I started thinking through the past year for me. Either I am really boring because nothing signifacant happened to me or I just can't remember anything -- another sign of old age, I'm afraid! 2008 seemed to fly by but at the same time, as I look back at it, I feel like January was forever ago. At the beginning of the year I was teaching school and waiting tables, I had a student teacher a couple of days a week, I started working on my National Board certification, I missed out on doing Cinderella, I started preparing for opening my store and suffered through the waiting and slow process of the building completion and lived with a store full of inventory in my house for many months, I celebrated 15 years of marriage, I got to yell a lot and hit people as Lucy in Charlie Brown, I got to see some old friends VERY briefly for a sad occassion, I had my first real accident when my car got rear-ended, I FINALLY moved into and opened the store, and the rest is more of the same. See? boring! Before Christmas I spoke to a girl that I used to be great friends with as a kid; she and I have not had any contact for at least 20 years, so when she called me out of the blue and we started catching up she kept asking me, "So, what have you DONE the last 20 years?" After I told her I got married, started teaching, had 2 kids, built a new house, and opened a store I had nothing else to say. She asked what I did in my spare time/for fun, and I told her I did plays a couple of times a year. She asked me what else I did, and I did not know what to say. I teach, I run the store, I do piles of dirty dishes and laundry, I play games with my kids, I grade way too many papers, I take my kids to gymnastics and sports practice, I try to make it to a few of my husband's baseball games, I go to play practice and performances, and I try to sleep 7 hours a night. There is no other time to do anything else; I guess that is what makes my life and the last year such a blur. It is fun all the same though! :)

No comments: