Monday, September 8, 2008

What do you think?

I was having a discussion the other day with someone about what the difference is between a FRIEND and an ACQUAINTANCE. How do you determine it? When does an acquaintance turn into a friend? Is it how you feel about that person or is it how he/she feels about you? Is it the amount of time you spend together or is it what you actually do during that time that makes the difference? I am really curious to know this because this person and I had completely different ideas about it, but I realized that I probably have people I would call "friend" that may not count me as such or that I do not really know all that well. According to this person's definition, I do not have many friends but a lot of acquaintances and that makes me very sad. What do you think? Leave me a comment and tell me what your definition is...

7 comments:

ScottyLC said...

I friend is someone who is willing wear leopard pants and dye their hair bright orange just to complete the other friend's "vision" no matter what people on the grocery store line say. Friends also have group movie nights and laugh at each other when that same group almost get arrested for having a midnight picnic in the park.

Me said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Me said...

Friends are people who actually want to hang out with you regardless of how dorky you are in public.
Aquantences are people who only hang out with you because you're there and don't go the extra mile to go some place or do something together, or listen to your problems because they are too busy telling you theirs.

anita said...

Let me talk to your "acquaintances" - they soon will find out what they are missing by not being your "friend."

Love you!

Anonymous said...

friends are the humans....where you can wear what you want, say what you want, and do what you want without them judging you....and not have to impress them or fit into what their opinion of what "normal" is....
where you can sit and say nothing... or say something and they listen..
and they come pick you up when you are stuck ....two states away...

marlingdarling said...

I feel aquantences are only friends that we havent met. I consider any aquantence a friend whether they feel I am a friend or not. Your too hard on yourself. I think you have lots of friends.

KG said...

I was not feeling like I did not have any friends -- I just said that according to this person's DEFINITION I would have a lot of acquaintances instead of friends. :) I love all my friends and am very grateful for all of them -- especially the "dorky" ones, the ones with the wacky visions, the ones who can't spell, the ones who watch dumb movies, the ones who almost get arrested with you, the ones who have loved me through thick and thin, the ones who skip work to go eat lunch, the ones who stand beside you in a denim dress in a barn and giggle at the pumpkin gods and the minister, and the ones who laugh at you and love you at the same time!!!